September 3, 2013...........Preproposal Deadline
November 30, 2013..........Invitations extended to submit an application
January 9, 2014...............Full Application deadline
April 30-May 1, 2014 .......In Person Interviews
July 1, 2014 .....................Award Start Date
August 15, 2014................Initial Installment
June 30, 2019...................Award End Date
BWF's Grant Application System Instructions
Burroughs Wellcome Fund (BWF) requires all applications for this program to be submitted electronically through BWF's web-based grant application system. The preproposal must be submitted by September 3, 2013 by 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time. No exceptions.
- Certain proposal information will be requested on-line when you access the BWF grant application system, but the majority of the application consists of various materials prepared by the applicant and uploaded to the system. A description of the application material is provided under proposal elements.
- Access the BWF grant application system through the links provided below. You will create a log-in and password to begin and return to a saved application. You will be required to successfully complete an eligibility quiz to continue the application process. The application may be accessed and changed multiple times as needed prior to the application deadline.
- Forms are available for certain parts of the application in both MS WORD and PDF. You can use either version, however the WORD version must contain its original formatting. All documents must be converted to Adobe Portable Document (PDF) files, and combined into one (1) PDF file prior to being uploaded to BWF's grant application system.
- Use the following naming convention for the file: Last Name, First Name – Preproposal Form (e.g., Smith, Sarah – Preproposal Form). Be sure to save a copy of the completed form for your records.
- When all required fields have been entered and required attachments uploaded, a "Submit" button will be made available. Once the preproposal application is complete, click the "Review and Submit" button.
- Once the preproposal application is successfully submitted, you should receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive email notification, please contact Rusty Kelley, via email or phone 919-991-5120.
Once the preproposal application deadline has passed, applications will not be accepted and submitted applications cannot be changed. No exceptions.
Applicants are encouraged to start early. To fully understand the application requirements, it is very important to review the program goals, elgibility and nomination criteria, selection, proposal elements, and terms of grant, prior to taking the eligibility quiz.
To access the quiz: Eligibility quiz
To return to a saved application: Saved application
Applicants are encouraged to read the proposal elements, eligibility requirements, selection process, and FAQs prior to beginning the preproposal. For assistance with Confidential Letters, see Troubleshooting Confidential Letters.
For additional assistance, contact Rusty Kelley, Program Officer, via email or at 919/991-5120.