Invitations to submit a full application are based on the information submitted in the preproposal. Candidates invited to submit a full application must continue to meet the eligibility requirements set forth in the preproposal phase. BWF must be notified of changes related to any of the eligibility requirements set forth below, particularly if there is a change in institution or faculty position status.
- Candidates may self-nominate for the preproposal and if invited to submit a full application will need to obtain approval by an official for sponsored programs at the institution where the work will be performed. The institution submitted in the preproposal and in the full application must be the same.
- Candidates must hold an M.D., Ph.D., D.V.M., D.D.S., or M.D.-Ph.D. degree.
- Candidates must be based at a non-profit institution [501(c)(3) or equivalent] in the U.S. or Canada; grants are made to the institutions on behalf of the award recipient. Candidates may not change institutions between the preproposal and invited application phases.
- Candidates must hold a faculty position tenure-track or non-tenure track, or adjunct faculty position at an accredited, degree-granting institution in the United States or Canada.
- Candidates must be an investigator at the assistant, associate, or full professor level.
- Candidates must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. or Canada at the time of application. Persons who have applied for permanent resident status but have not received their government documentation by the time of the preproposal application deadline are not eligible.
- Temporary residents of the U.S. or Canada are not eligible.
- Postdocs are not eligible.
- Candidates who currently hold a BWF award are not eligible.
- Candidates may submit only one application.
- Applications may be submitted by a primary investigator, or may have up to a total of three co-investigators. Co-investigators need not be at the same institution; however, one person must be designated as the primary investigator, and must meet all eligibility requirements. Investigators may not change between the preproposal and invited application phases.
- Candidates must agree to the Terms of Grant.
BWF makes no exceptions to its policies.