Burroughs Wellcome Fund
80% (30 hour/week) salaried part time position with excellent benefits package
The Program Associate is responsible for grants management processes, both pre- and post-award, for designated BWF competitive award programs, and assists a program officer in the execution of other program-related activities in targeted areas of biomedical research. This position reports to a Senior Program Officer and supports programs in infectious diseases, population health, and career development.
Major responsibilities of the position include:
- Prepare applications and related materials for review by program officer.
- Process and review applications to assure compliance to eligibility criteria. Bring items in question to the attention of the program officer.
- Enter and maintain accurate grants-related data into the Fund’s grants management system. Perform and manage other data entry tasks as assigned. Prepare statistical reports from applicant and awardee data.
- Provide review committees with access to proposals through the proposal review system.
- Set up payment schedules. Track grants to assure adherence to payment and reporting schedule and to assure follow-up and timely receipt of progress reports. Bring deviations to program officer’s attention. Prepare reports of grant status.
- Use the grants management system to generate routine correspondence relating to grants and proposals, as directed by the program officer.
- Use internal and external databases, reference materials, and other resources to research, retrieve, compile data, and generate routine and ad hoc reports for program-related areas.
- Respond, verbally and in writing, to requests for information on program-related areas.
- Work with program officer and meeting planner to develop plans for meetings of scientific advisory committees, and sometimes participate in planning of other events and meetings. Periodic travel to designated meetings may be necessary.
- Work well in a flexible team environment with other members of the programs, information technology, meetings, finance, and administrative staff groups on issues related to grant systems, grants management, service to our awardee community, and related policies.
- Work with program officer to develop briefing books for advisory committee meetings.
- Assist the program officer in other ways as may be required for BWF programs.
- Co-supervise a Program Assistant in the execution of grants management systems and processes.
- A BS or MS degree with at least five years of post-baccalaureate non-trainee work experience of increasing responsibility, preferably in a scientific setting.
- A high level of attention to detail and well-demonstrated oral and written communication skills are required.
- Work with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) is required. Though this job does not require coding or analytics, strong candidates will show comfort with technology as evidenced by demonstrating skills in at least one programming language OR data analytics system OR CAD system.
- Should be self-motivated to work efficiently and accurately on detailed tasks. Data entry, data checking, and data reporting are a core part of this job.
- BWF offers competitive salary and benefits based on individual experience. No relocation assistance provided.
The Burroughs Wellcome Fund (BWF) is an independent private foundation established to advance the biomedical and medical sciences by supporting research and other scientific and educational activities. The majority of the Fund’s grants are channeled through competitive award programs under the review of external advisory panels. The Fund’s assets are currently in excess of $700 million and annual grants are approximately $35 million. For additional information, go to www.bwfund.org.
Apply by September 1, 2017 by emailing a cover letter, resume, and names of three references to:
Victoria McGovern, PhD | Senior Program Officer
Burroughs Wellcome Fund
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
email@example.com | 919-991-5112
If you are interested in employment opportunities in the Research Triangle Park-area, please visit Work in the Triangle.