All proposals must be submitted through the Burroughs Wellcome Fund Grant Application System. Each element of the proposal must be completed before it can be submitted. Proposals that are not in compliance with instructions will be rejected out of fairness to all applicants. Attachments must be uploaded as Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) files.
The following sections are required:
Online data entry of general proposal information and upload of IRS determination letter
Upload of requested proposal elements in a single PDF document
Letter from the applicant's mentor (confidential and blind)
IRS Determination Letter and Online Data Entry
- The application contains online data entry requesting applicant information, contact information on the mentor and other institutional officials, and a lay abstract
- Upload a copy of the nominating degree granting institution's most recent IRS determination letter that indicates the institution is recognized as a 501c3 organization. Documents must be in PDF format
The following proposal elements are required and must be uploaded in a single PDF in the order indicated. (All documents must have a minimum 11 point font with one-inch margins. Forms and templates can be found on the forms and resources page)
- Signature Page (form provided)
- Personal Statement (one page)
Describes who you, your long-term career goals, and how this award will support those goals.
- Lay Abstract (one page)
Describe the proposed work, including specific aims, in a scientific abstract that is understandable to a multidisciplinary group of scientific reviewers.
- Curriculum vitae of postdoctoral applicant (up to four pages)
- Project Plan (up to three pages including references)
There is no set template for the project plan. The plan should describe:
1. Rationale, vision, and summary of proposed research
2. Training plan and how this relates to career goals
3. Organizational Capacity: experience, facilities and administrative support available at proposed research institution
- CV of Mentor (up to four pages)
Include graduate and post-graduate trainees from mentor's laboratory and their current position.
- Budget and Budget Justification (one page for the budget and one page for the budget justification; form provided for the budget)
The budget should cover year one of the proposal. A one-page budget justification for year one should be included as well. This award cannot be used to provide the postdoc's salary or purchase reagents or equipment commonly found in the mentor's laboratory. Requests for equipment should be justified appropriately.
Letter of Support from Mentor (confidential blind letter, no more than two pages)
Describe intended contributions, including commitment of facilities, staff, and funds. Mentor must include how the postdoc's salary will be supported. Mentor should include a plan for training and mentoring the applicant.
The letter is to remain confidential and should not be viewed by the applicant. From within the application system, applicants can send mentor's a link to upload the letter. Letters must be uploaded as a PDF file prior to 4 p.m., January 15, 2014 deadline (ET).
Details on requesting uploading the mentor letter is provided under the forms and resource section. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure the letter is submitted on time.
A qualified mentor is required for the PDEP. The characteristics of a qualified mentor include:
- Capacity, track record, and commitment to advancing the careers of young scientists
- Willingness to participate in workshops to understand expectations of the award and a commitment to its goals
- Publications, training, and research background