Due Date: November 1
Progress and financial reports are required of all Burroughs Wellcome Fund (BWF) grants. Advisory Committee and staff depend heavily upon progress and financial reports to evaluate progress, and it is an IRS requirement. Late reports inconvenience advisory committee reviewers and impede the Fund's evaluation of its programs. Failure to submit progress or financial reports in a timely fashion will result in termination of funding.
BWF has provided Progress Report Guidelines to assist in the preparation and submission of Progress Reports in an acceptable manner. Awardees must provide BWF with an annual progress report detailing scientific progress. Institutions must provide an annual financial report. Both reports must be submitted by the due date on forms that will be provided and according to the instructions below. All PDF on-line forms and instructions referenced on this page can be accessed below.
The named investigator may request a no-cost extension at least 30 days in advance of the grant period end date. A request for an extension must be made in writing and must include a detailed explanation of the purposes for which the extension is requested. The request for a no-cost extension must be copied to both the named investigator and the appropriate representative of the named investigator’s institution. In general, extensions do not exceed 24 months. The Fund reserves the right to deny such a request in whole or in part. If the request is approved, it will be incumbent upon the named investigator and his/her institution to provide annual progress and expenditure reports each year of the no-cost extension period, as well as final progress and expenditure reports at the end of the no-cost extension period. BWF will request a return of all no-cost extension funds if progress report requirements and deadlines are not met.
Submit as three separate documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by November 1.
- Activity Report
- Combined as one PDF: Scientific Abstract & Biosketch
- Financial Report
Sections of the Progress Report
I. Activity Report Template
Your Activity Report should be cumulative; each reporting period will build on the previous one/s, so we may capture clear progression. Therefore for this reporting period, you will use the last report you submitted and you should not go back and change anything-just update! If this is your first submission, the template for your Activity Report can be found below. If you have been granted a no-cost extension, add on additional columns as needed, indicating NCE Year 1 or NCE Year 2, etc.
It should contain the following information:
- Cover sheet (first sheet)
- Research Milestones/Goals (second sheet, relevant column)
- Publications for relevant period (third sheet)
- Trainee Information, updated as necessary (fourth sheet)
- Funding Sources, updated as necessary (fifth sheet)
- Meetings and Conferences Participated in, updated as necessary (sixth sheet)
- Other Activities, as necessary (seventh sheet, relevant column)
- Final Year Essay (eighth sheet, to be completed in last reporting period)
II. Scientific Abstract
Provide a brief (< 300 words) summary of your research written to be understood by a multidisciplinary audience.
Include an updated NIH-style biographical sketch.
IV. Financial Report
The Financial Report (see below) must be completed by the institutional financial officer using the on-line form provided. The report should contain the typed name of both the awardee and the institutional officer completing the report. Original signatures are not required, only typed names.
- If you submitted a Financial Report last year, information provided in that report should be used to calculate the Cumulative to Date figures.
- The subtotal fields in both columns will automatically calculate as you enter the relevant numerical data.
- The "Balance" in both the Fiscal Year and Cumulative to Date columns should be equal.