BURROUGHS WELLCOME FUND
Programs Assistant and Data Specialist
Who We Are
The Burroughs Wellcome Fund (BWF) serves and strengthens society by nurturing a diverse group of leaders in biomedical sciences to improve human health through education and powering discovery in frontiers of greatest need.
BWF makes grants primarily to degree-granting institutions on behalf of individual researchers. To complement these competitive award programs, BWF also makes grants to nonprofit organizations conducting activities intended to improve the general environment for science. BWF believes that a diverse scientific workforce is essential to the process and advancement of research innovation, academic discovery, and public service. The position is located in Research Triangle Park, NC and will be responsible for the following:
This exempt position reports directly to two Program Associates across multiple program areas. This position will assist program officers and program associates for Interfaces in Science, Regulatory Sciences, Biomedical Sciences and Reproductive Science programs by providing support in areas of grant management and other program-related activities to include (but not limited to):
- Review applications submitted through online grant management system in accordance with BWF program guidelines and to assure conformance to eligibility criteria. Work with applicants post-submission to address issues and/or concerns related to submitted applications. Route designated proposals to internal BWF staff.
- Assist with numerous tasks preceding and during program grant review advisory committee meetings. Activities may include collating Adobe PDF files, managing grant applications, creating graphs/charts of applicant data, PowerPoint slides and miscellaneous administrative support tasks.
- Assist with awardee meetings, or other program-related meetings, in any capacity requested. Familiarity with virtual meeting platforms is preferred.
- Receive and provide initial review of progress and financial reports as requested, and correspond with awardees to resolve discrepancies. Update BWF’s grant management system and provide updates to Program Officer. Update corresponding progress report templates as necessary.
- Create and maintain document templates, automatic reminders, and reporting templates in BWF grants management system for above mentioned programs. Use grants management system to generate bulk correspondence to applicants and awardees.
- Perform data entry in BWF grants management system as needed and help to maintain grantee files and records, including entering relevant information from quarterly Board of Directors’ meeting minutes. Assist with general data management duties, such as eliminating duplicate records, and general database searches to export data in necessary formats.
- Research missing information on correspondence and return of funds sent to BWF and distribute to correct program staff.
- Assist Program officers and associates with special projects, including researching and compiling information and reports.
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations as requested.
- Create and update Adobe forms as needed.
- Work with program staff to research, evaluate, and implement efficient processes for grants administration.
- Participate in training and staff/professional development.
- An undergraduate degree with at least two years of experience in an administrative position
- Previous experience in a science related field, including health care, or university environment helpful
- Experience with relational databases
- Experience in data management
- Proficiency with computer skills in MS Office Software, especially Excel, as well as Adobe, web browsing, and navigation of MS Windows platform
Skills and Competencies:
- Proficiency in videoconferencing platforms (i.e. Zoom) and survey tools (SurveyMonkey, Qualtrics)
- Familiarity with data analytics and data visualization software such as Tableau or PowerBI.
- Adaptable to evolving technology and display confidence in administering an online grants management system.
- Ability to support evolution of software and database packages
- Effective communicator and team player with good planning, strong analytical, prioritization and organizing skills.
- Flexible, detail-oriented, able to work independently, handle sensitive data and problem-solve.
- Ability to work well in a team environment with other members of the programs and personnel across other departments to include, information technology, event planners, finance, and administrative staff groups on issues related to grant systems, grants management, service to our awardee community, and related policies.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
BWF is an equal opportunity employer and offers equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, and other protected class characteristics.
To learn more about the Burroughs Wellcome Fund.
If interested in this position, please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.